Saturday, September 10, 2011

The day I married my best friend...

On August 6th, I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world. Everything was perfect. I was marrying my best friend. I woke-up at 6am with a lot of prayers that everything would turn out smoothly, and that I wouldn't have anything go wrong. My hair dresser was half an hour late, so I called her, only to find out that she was lost. We gave her instructions, and she showed up about an hour after she was supposed to. Thankfully she worked fast, it looked beautiful...and we still got to the temple on time. I was slightly nervous when Eric was late to the temple, but I kept reminding myself that I had given him the same scare the night before when I walked into my endowment session almost fifteen minutes late.

A few minutes before the sealing started, we were led into a room and left alone. We sat there, looking at each other, and it was the most special ten minutes of my life. There he was, the man I would be married to in less than half an hour. I couldn't help but hold back some butterflies inside, but they were mere anxious anticipation than nervousness. I was overcome with a peaceful assurance that I was at the right place, doing the right thing, at the right time. And nothing is better than that feeling.

Our sealing was beautiful. As we walked into the sealing room, everything was still and quiet. I took a seat next to my beautiful mom, and looked around as I saw so many smiling faces of people, friends and family who I hadn't seen in years. It was so refreshing to see their eyes, all twinkling with delight and excitement. I was overcome with a deep admiration and love for everyone in the room. The spirit was indescribable.

Walking out for our grand exit was quiet exciting in itself. There were all my bridesmaids, some of who I hadn't seen in years, smiling and cheering. I was so overcome with excitement that I just kept smiling and hugging everyone I saw. Then I found my brothers, all who looked cute and spiffy in their blue shirts. I gave everybody hugs, and all of the sudden was feeling very grown up.

The rest of the day was wonderful. We got to attend a baby blessing for our new nephew, Brock, who is just the cutest little baby you will ever see. Our reception was better than anything I had envisioned. I owe a special thanks to all my bridesmaids and family members who spent all Friday setting up for it. It was incredibly perfect.

I was all smiles the rest of the evening. We had so many special people attend our reception, many of whom we hadn't seen in years. We also had a lot of fun just singing and dancing with our friends. After many stressful months of wedding planning, it was extremely nice to "let go" and just enjoy ourselves. One of the best moments we will probably laugh about forever...would be our cake cutting.

I wanted a tall cake, but I didn't need one giant sized to feed a thousand people, so I ordered the bottom layer to be made of foam. In all the hustle and bustle of the wedding, I had completely forgotten about the cake. The other layers had ribbons on them, so we chose to cut the bottom layer since it wouldn't be difficult with a piece of ribbon. It took us about five minutes of pushing and grunting until the cake cutter snapped...oops. After a few more minutes of trying to cut our cake, we realized it was...foam. How embarrassing!

We left two hours later for the airport. We had eight hours of travel ahead of us until we would end up in humid Miami. We were pretty tired once we reached Florida, but found an extra boost of energy when we started boarding our cruise ship. Neither of us had been on a cruise before, and we both were pretty excited about the adventure that laid ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment